Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A Walk of Frozen Ice

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Queen Bathory
Admin
Queen Bathory

A Walk of Frozen Ice Empty
PostSubject: A Walk of Frozen Ice   A Walk of Frozen Ice Icon_minitime2014-12-27, 22:16

Ava walked confidently with her arm looped loosely through Kinsens. It demonstrated a casual formality. Her curvaceous form swayed with her gown as she moved. Ava appeared relaxed, but she was clever enough to know that one could never truly be at ease in Icehold, or any holdings that belonged to the likes of Jaric. There was always a risk that word would get back to the wraith King.

As they walked out into the cold, her hair danced with the sudden icy breeze. The wind whistled in low tones. Ava tucked some of her red locks behind her ear, then finally spoke. "I do not know you well, but I speak with hope I can trust you. I remember all too well, your acts of honor and valor against Victor Carthallion." She paused briefly, then continued. "If you want what is best for Angel, you might do well to step away from her. Her Majesty does not seem herself...I am concerned for humanity." It was a blunt statement, but she felt the need to get to the point.
Back to top Go down
Kinsen

Kinsen

PostSubject: Re: A Walk of Frozen Ice   A Walk of Frozen Ice Icon_minitime2014-12-27, 23:01

=Kinsen reveled in the cool breeze, his own form radiating cold at a level below the wind. The white metal shone like pure ice, flashing with the shifting colors of mother of pearl. The snowflake inlay in the breastplate caught the light even more, always having a contrast against even the white of the metal plate.

As she speaks, Kinsen listens,his eyes straight ahead. As she finishes, he lets the silence drag on for the span of a few steps. With a low chuckle he turns his head as they walk. "Well, everyone is going through changes these days. You don't know the half of it." He felt the cold grip around his mind, the presence of Winter, prompting his thoughts and sense of purpose.=
Back to top Go down
Queen Bathory
Admin
Queen Bathory

PostSubject: Re: A Walk of Frozen Ice   A Walk of Frozen Ice Icon_minitime2014-12-27, 23:23

The silence forced Ava to rethink her bluntness. After all, what did she really know of this man? Ava was depending on his paladin nature to at the very least be polite with her. Small snow flakes landed in her hair and on her shoulders, so she reached out and gently dusted them off her gown. Thankfully, immortality meant the cold had no ill effects upon her.

Kinsen's sudden laugh broke the uncomfortable silence. "You do not take me seriously, a great shame. What have I ever done to create such mistrust? I had hoped for that much at the very least. Perhaps the notion of Jaric losing his humanity is also a laughable notion to you? If BOTH of them are lost, then what do we have for the realm? Does it really sound so far fetched a notion? If I do not know the half of it, pray tell, let me in so that I can help." Ava's expression was no longer smug, but one of pure concern and seriousness.
Back to top Go down
Kinsen

Kinsen

PostSubject: Re: A Walk of Frozen Ice   A Walk of Frozen Ice Icon_minitime2014-12-27, 23:39

="Given the circumstances I treat everything seriously. That's why it's all so laughable. As for my trust, you'll forgive me for knowing just enough about you to not have the greatest of expectations." He caught her eyes. "There is very little to be said for the worth of humanity. Why are so many so eager to throw it away for more? Why were you?" He smiled, the gesture flashing his newly elongated fangs.

"Jaric hasn't been human for a very long time, and his inhumanity has been quite telling. This is nothing new to anyone, although I would hazard that there are many who harbor illusions about this. And Angel paid a price. As did I. The kingdom will thrive beyond us."=
Back to top Go down
Queen Bathory
Admin
Queen Bathory

PostSubject: Re: A Walk of Frozen Ice   A Walk of Frozen Ice Icon_minitime2014-12-28, 00:00

His comment regarding not having the "greatest of expectations" caused her eyebrow to raise, her tone was sharp. "You forget your place. I am still above you, aren't paladins to give everyone the benefit of the doubt? Do we all not deserve a chance? Isn't Angel all about repenting of sins?" Her flood of questions was due to her mild loss of temper.

Ava realized she had her fists clenched, so she moved her hands to open her palms. "I have nothing...barely a title, but it is still something. Everlasting mortality is crucial for survival, but humanity grasps that one part of our soul that nothing else can. Without it, there is no reason to exist. To run a realm, as Angel has, without it, will lead to a dangerous path. Be careful of what was bargained, for a price may still be expected to be paid."
Back to top Go down
Kinsen

Kinsen

PostSubject: Re: A Walk of Frozen Ice   A Walk of Frozen Ice Icon_minitime2014-12-28, 00:26

=Kinsen's smile was without merriment, as cold as the air around him. "You are nothing to me. I have more reason to doubt you than trust you, and you've done nothing to earn that. This was a mere courtesy to you, not a sign of deferment. I do not answer to you." He rapped his steel-clad knuckles against the breastplate, the sound higher than one would expect to hear from the metal on metal sound of armor, almost as a bell or chime. "I do not wear the black. My idealism has been tempered with experience, and eventually, everyone runs out of chances. If you would like me to extend you that courtesy, I'll need more than your word. That's the problem with gaining a reputation."

"If you would care to know Angel's motivations, I suggest you ask her. If you're seeking redemption, perhaps you could start with humility. If the kingdom is at risk, it will be responded to. Jaric ran a kingdom without humanity for centuries. For every winter, there is a spring."=
Back to top Go down
Queen Bathory
Admin
Queen Bathory

PostSubject: Re: A Walk of Frozen Ice   A Walk of Frozen Ice Icon_minitime2014-12-28, 01:02

His words "You are nothing to me." Echoed in her mind, his tone of sharp ice itself, cutting through the air. She nodded, preferring to slap the insolence out of him, but refusing to give in to the bait. "I am the Baron's wife, brother to the King. You, sir, are nothing more than a trained guard, a poor one at that. Why do you wear these new clothes instead of the black? What are you trying to prove? That your order will be better than all others?" She almost hissed the words. spinning on him so she was no longer walking to his side, but standing in front of him. "You do not know who you are anymore, this is why you have embraced new ideas...."

Emerald eyes flashed with hidden fury. Ava refused to acknowledge his comment about her reputation and moved past it, getting to the point. "The realm needs stability once more. It is no longer about you or your precious Queen, but what must be done for the greater good. YOU sir, forget your place. One word from me to Jaric, and you shall wish you had remained dead with Victor in F'Tallian."
Back to top Go down
Kinsen

Kinsen

PostSubject: Re: A Walk of Frozen Ice   A Walk of Frozen Ice Icon_minitime2014-12-28, 01:17

=Kinsen continued to smile, with all the amusement of a parent watching a child throw a tantrum. Are you done? You're a coward's wife, and a queen without a kingdom. Spare me your arrogance. I know quite well what you are. I also know what am, and where I've come from, and make no illusions about it. You won't anger me with your sad attempts at provocation. I pity you too much for that."

He lifted his hand for her inspection, showing the white metal. "I no longer wear the black because I made a choice, and that order is no longer mine. I will not show blind devotion to Jaric, or to ideals which have faltered. The knights have not served the realm proper for centuries, and there hasn't been an Aurora to serve for years. Yes, I made my choice, and I will live with the consequences, too." He gave her a poignant look "And I'll do so without hiding. Your threats are weak. I do not serve Jaric, and he knows this. Besides, if you think he would tolerate your treason more than my disdain for you, I would only say that we shall share a view from atop the spikes our heads would be on on the gates. That is, if he even bothered to hear you out at all." He looked down at her, as necessitated by the height difference ((he's about as tall as Jaric)) with cool indifference. ((Get it? Cool?))

"The realm does need stability, yes. And that won't be achieved by trying to cross a bridge we've never reached, nor by attempting to sow dissent because of your fears. Give me cause to heed your concerns, and I will listen. Elsewise, we're done here. I have better things to do with my time than waste it on being threatened by such as you."=
Back to top Go down
Queen Bathory
Admin
Queen Bathory

PostSubject: Re: A Walk of Frozen Ice   A Walk of Frozen Ice Icon_minitime2014-12-28, 01:39

"I don't expect you to be educated enough to know my achievements in life, my husband, however, will not be amused at your pathetic verbal slight against him and myself. The Baron doesn't take kindly to those who think themselves better than...family, which I am. You, are not. Yet you saunter about this garrison as if you own everything here. You've been different since that incident with Angel when she got hit by that giant ice bear thing and you interfered. The two of you! How can she rule when she constantly looks for you for guidance? Do you think Jaric hasn't noticed? People will talk, you fool! It is not *I* who holds the arrogance, but you, Kinsen. I came her to warn you, to do you a service. Only a man with a death wish will chose to ignore my words. It is not a threat. I do not bother with threats, they are a mere waste of time!"

Ava paused briefly, seeing the cold white metal and shook her head. "You need to leave your notions of what you think you know.If you do not claim to serve Jaric, it only adds to the taint of traitor. Who is to say you are not manipulating our good Queen? I am not the one at fault here, I have always been loyal to the Carthallions and Aurora. I came today out of growing concern. I came to warn you of how others are seeing you...as different...not one of them. But it seems you already know, and it amuses you. I shall never understand what kind of man you are, Kinsen! The great protector? Of what? How can you not serve Jaric? Isn't that treason? I do not understand what you are talking about!" He had confused her, but she was still angry.
Back to top Go down
Kinsen

Kinsen

PostSubject: Re: A Walk of Frozen Ice   A Walk of Frozen Ice Icon_minitime2014-12-28, 01:52

=Kinsen looks at Ava, sighing. "You sound like a petulant child, spouting drivel. The Baron may take offense to the perceived slight of honesty all he wishes, and you can hide behind the shield of a name all you'd like, but the facts don't change. I have no care in the world for how you perceive me,or your own inflated importance in these matters. However, if this is how the conversation was going, I would have directed us to the orphanage. The nuns there are quite used to tantrums." He shook his head. "You did nothing for me but presume that I would bow to your browbeating. It is not arrogant to doubt you, and I find it hard to believe you would fault with anyone for distrusting anyone who consorts with the Baron, let alone his wife. Consider your warning heard, aye, and your idle threats too."

He offered a brief smile. "Jaric is well aware of what I have done to save his queen and his kingdom. He has always known that my loyalty always lay more to the people than him. He also knows the cost of my choice. Do you think we would not discuss it? I respect him. I will defer to him so long as it is necessary for the realm. But I do not fear his reprisals. I have faced death, and worse, at his service. I've even tasted the fires of Angelfire. We are aware of the circumstances, and we are adjusting. As for the idle talk of the ill-informed, let them talk. It is no concern of mine. Nor is your lack of understanding of current circumstances." he smiled and nodded in acknowledgment. "Nowif I have your leave, I have matters I must attend to."=
Back to top Go down
Queen Bathory
Admin
Queen Bathory

PostSubject: Re: A Walk of Frozen Ice   A Walk of Frozen Ice Icon_minitime2014-12-28, 12:10

She wanted to slap him for his insolence. A petulant child?! Ava gasped aloud and put one hand to her chest. " You have no right to talk down to me! It is all so clear now, who the tainted one is! You have forgotten who you serve and that is blasphemy! To think yourself above Jaric - what nonsense? I do not hide behind names, and you should not hide behind deities!"

She found that she was breathing hard, little ice forms of mist. Her arms return to her sides, fists clenched, as was her jaw. Shaking her head with fury, Ava began to walk a few steps away from him. "You all think I'm the monster..how ironic?" Frustrated, she wiped some tears. "You think Jaric owes you favors, tainted knight? You are sorely wrong. Perhaps the problem here is that you think you are TOO revered."

Once again, she shuffled in the snow, black boots causing light footprints. "You're right, coming here to do good was a joke. Clearly you cannot see my wisdom through your pride. I came with concerns. If you were the true hero, you'd see my grievances and take heed. Yes, you've faced death and come through - use that and pray to put it to some good use. You are right, we are done here. I shall return to the coach house and await my carriage. Good Eve." Ava turned on her heel and began walking away, her gown trailing behind.
Back to top Go down
Kinsen

Kinsen

PostSubject: Re: A Walk of Frozen Ice   A Walk of Frozen Ice Icon_minitime2014-12-30, 13:42

=Kinsen sighed, resisting every urge to roll his eyes and walk away. "It's quite obvious you are not remotely listening to anything I'm saying. I had hoped for slightly more from you. I have every right to speak how I wish, and will exercise it. As for taint? Expressing the truth is not blasphemy, and the only one here who is used to hiding is you. I'm sorry the truth wounds you so, but your pride is of no concern to me."

He laughed as she continued, a mocking sound. "Revered? I'm more reviled than the Baron now. As for being a monster? No. You're no monster. You're simply pitiable. As for being revered?" he gestures to the flurry of snow in the wind. "This is my lot now. Your ignorance betrays you, more than your wounded pride. The funniest part being, you assume that my honesty with you masks more hubris than your own in assuming the the king and queen are both tainted. Perhaps that's why you came to me and not Jaric? Please, stop pretending like yours is the righteous attempt here. You come with ignorance and conjecture, and I present you with counterpoint and some truth, and you turn into an angry child spitting insults like they amount to an argument. If you want to squabble like a child, do it elsewhere."

He bowed as she turned, rolling his eyes. Good riddance to that fear-mongering trash.=
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Walk of Frozen Ice   A Walk of Frozen Ice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Walk of Frozen Ice
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Cities :: Icehold-
Jump to: