Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Angel
Admin
Angel

Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey] Empty
PostSubject: Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey]   Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey] Icon_minitime2010-05-25, 13:55

Ralean wrote:
~Ral nods. "Aye, I'd never tell him, but he's a damned life saver when it comes to this place. I'm not always available, and everyone loves him. he has a way of putting people at ease." he shrugs with a smile as she takes his arm and they walk, speaking of Verran. "Requested his presence? That does not bode well, to have that man called here officially." he looks to Angel. "You spoke of predators early...that man is a pure predator, through and through. He is aptly titled by Jaric, as the Hunter, because it is what he does best. Better than any other." he smiles thinly. "Still, it would be good to see him again, after this time."

"Gil can entertain, but his juggling lacks." he smiles thinly. "You spoke of business, m'lady. And you have indeed aroused my curiosity."

he stops before a door and takes a key from a pouch at his belt, opening the door to a spacious, but sparsely decorated office. he ushers her in as he strikes a flint and ignores a torch on the wall, using it to light others, closing and locking the door behind them. he turns to her and gestures to a chair. "A seat, if it so pleases. Would you care for a drink?"

he makes his way behind his desk and sits heavily, leaning his elbows on the desk and reaching to a bottle, arranging two glasses before them and pouring a clear liquid from the bottle into each. he smiles. 'Water, plain as it may be."~

Back to top Go down
Angel
Admin
Angel

PostSubject: Re: Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey]   Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey] Icon_minitime2010-05-26, 08:12

*Angel took his arm and walked with Ralean, listening to his comments.*

"Jaric hasn't mentioned to me why Verran is there. I'm sure I'll find out sooner or later."

*Even if she had known of Jaric's reasons, she wouldn't mention them to Ralean. Whilst he was friendly enough, he was no confidante. It had been the reason that she barely mentioned Jaric at all. Yet, to hear Ralean say he was a predator, the color drained from her face.

She didn't have anything to hide, yet she didn't have a good feeling about it. Perhaps he had been summoned to aid in the new move to Aurora, but something made her doubt that. Sometimes it stung that she, as his Queen barely knew all that Jaric was up to.

Angel followed Ranean until they reached his office, her relaxed outward demenor not matching the fact that she was now uneasy. It rather quickly dawning on her what a mistake it was to be here.

She waited for him to shut the door and sat down. Angel then settled herself and nodded at the offer of a glass of water. As quick as lightning, she bacame blunt with him and changed subjects. *

"Yes, water would be good, thank you. By coming here, I have put you at risk, haven't I? How brave of you to humor me with pleasent banter, all the while knowing damn well you might be offending the Black Rose."

*She granted him a wry smile of appreciation, reaching out to take her glass of water.*

"The fact that you did it regardless has earnt my respect, even if you never intended it to..for I know how little you care for the nobles and their squabbles but Jaric is another matter."
Back to top Go down
Ralean SwyftBlade

Ralean SwyftBlade

PostSubject: Re: Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey]   Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey] Icon_minitime2010-05-26, 18:57

~Ral nods. "Aye, and so will his prey, m'lady, if I may be so blunt. The man has never failed to bring his trophy to jaric. I know, for a few years, I hunted beside him."

Ral looks at her a long moment, serious, and all business. he takes his own glass in hand, taking a small drink, and setting it back down. He smiles wryly. "Risk? More so from Vlad than Jaric, if truth be told. For all the slight that may be seen, Jaric was never a man to be easily put off by rumor. That fact has saved my head many a time." he is purposeful in his use of the past tense. Jaric had been strange of late, and even he was unsure of how much truth the statement held now.

He smirks a little. "Jaric stands the squabbling because he must. he cares for it perhaps less than I do, as you surely know. To him, it is a necessary evil, as is his beloved brother, the Baron." he clasps his hands together leaning forward on his elbows. "But you are not here to discuss Jaric's disposition towards political intrigue, nor my distaste for the same, and seeming disregard for my reputation and well being. it seems you are putting yourself at just as much risk as I, being outside your home and more vulnerable to the machinations of the baron if he so desired."

he looks at her pointedly, nodding his head. "You spoke of business. Then let us dispense with these formalities, and save them for a time when they are less wasteful. Neither of us are made for such. So let us be blunt. Why are you here, and what need do you have of me?"~
Back to top Go down
Angel
Admin
Angel

PostSubject: Re: Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey]   Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey] Icon_minitime2010-05-26, 22:11

*Angel took a small gulp, watching Ralean in deep thought as he spoke of Verran's skills. Who was he hunting? She closed her eyes and leaned back into the chair with a sigh. One hand came up to hold her head.

Angel stared at Ralean, but it was if her eyes were looking straight past him. She had a heavy head, remembering her previous conversation with Jaric. She'd talked of Ralean to him, he'd played her. He'd told her it hadn't mattered, to forget it. Even though she hadn't shared her thoughts with Ralean, Jaric hadn't been himself for sometime...was Verran there to collect Ralean?

She tried to focus upon Ralean's words of risk, and his talk of Vladamir.*

"Don't worry about me, I can take care of myself. It doesn't suit the Baron to be rid of me, I keep Jaric occupied, remember? Besides, I have to face my fears, I cannot hide..from either brother"

*Angel remained pale as she looked to him, glad that he had already dismissed the idea of formalities and that they could speak freely. Immediately she dropped the pretences..*

"Ralean, I'm concerned that Jaric has brought Verran here to find you.. we've had a talk about you. It was personal, but Jaric was not himself. Jaric has been so different, I don't know whats happened to him. I do all I can, and more. He has tricked me..He told me my conduct around you was not to be mentioned again, he was done with it, that I shouldn't have thought twice about it...why do I fear he has took matters into his own hands?"

*She shook her head taking up the drink of water.*

"I've come all this way to talk about the Dracolich..I know its your area of expertise. I wanted to know more since I've been having strange dreams...I don't believe SoulReaver is truely dead, and I wanted help in finally defeating the Dracolich - which I believe is the key, the door as it were, to SoulReaver. Somehow, I'm wondering if thats as important as the Verran situation."
Back to top Go down
Ralean SwyftBlade

Ralean SwyftBlade

PostSubject: Re: Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey]   Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey] Icon_minitime2010-05-27, 11:23

~Ral nods, raising his glass to her. "I admire that courage, m'lady."

As Jaric speaks of Verran perhaps coming to find him, he breaks into a grin, laughing, his response working entirely against the gravity of what she had said. "Verran, to hunt me? If so, m'lady, your Lord Husband flatters me. If he wished me to suffer his judgment, he need but ask. Still, if My nuisance is worth that, I shall count myself honored." he chuckles and shakes his head. "And if you're right, m'lady, I shall sleep the poorer. To be hunted by the Baron's bitches is one thing. To be hunted by an old friend, quite another. Still, duty is duty, and that is understood."

he looks solidly at Angel, his eyes boring into hers. "Your Lord Husband is a changed man. I make no excuses for him, there is something there, beyond the coldness and the dignity. I can't place it, and it is not MY place to speak so, it is true, but it bears watching." he grow silent, ponderous. "...and if the Baron knows, this could spell ill for all of us."

Ral listens as she mentions Charaan, his face darkening, and he nods, slowly. He drains his water glass, sighing heavily. He nods again. "The dracolich, eh? Damnable beast it is. And perhaps the most dangerous thing on this island, if we don't take heed, although there are more obvious evils." he drums his fingers lightly on the desktop. 'i've encountered only one such beast before, and it was luck that I survived, and destroyed the thing. Afterwards, I sought the Archmage, a man you've no doubt heard great things of, to learn what manner of beast it was."

he straightens in his seat, stretching his shoulders. "They are dragons, or once were, that desire immortality. Long lived as they are, even dragons grow old, and die. Through magical means, they bind their life essence into an object, a vessel. The body itself dies, but the life force, the power, remains. They lose nothing of their power, their abilities. Some even enhance them with magical study. As if centuries and millenia weren't enough, these beasts have a veritable eternity to pursue whatever they wish. In order to destroy one, the vessel of life force must be destroyed. The danger in this, is that it realeases pwer back into the dracolich. It does not weaken it, merely makes it able to die again. They can be created, as well, from dark magic, by others, with the power and means. I was not present for the creastion of Charaan, so I know not how he is bound, or what to." he smiles. 'They are destroyable, but to do so requires the utmost risk, patience, research, and more than a fair bit of luck."

He smiles thinly. "I could bore you with talks of dragon physiology and anatomy, but there are many finely illustrated texts on the matter inside the libraries of icehold that were saved. Much of what I told you, the loremasters could have as well, though in their infinite wisdom I doubt many have seen, let alone fought, one of those cursed wretches."~
Back to top Go down
Angel
Admin
Angel

PostSubject: Re: Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey]   Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey] Icon_minitime2010-05-28, 22:57

((This is the FIFTH time I've tried to make this post. I lost the others before I could save, which has totally peeved me off at this point. Since my hands hurt, I appologize that this one won't be as long as the others and Angel's actions will be shorter.))

"Courage..yes, lets call it that, rather than say, stupidity. Perhaps we are both simply crazy, yet again, we have something in common."

*Angel tilted her head to one side casually, her tone indicating that she was speaking in a lighthearted fashion. Raising the glass of water, she took a small sip for herself. Sitting in the chair opposite Ralean, she watched with amazement at his reaction to Verran, his laugh throwing her for a loop as it rang out against the slience. *

"You might consider yourself flattered, but we both know that Jaric has not been himself. He's unpredictable, who knows what he intends? "

*This caused her eyes to cast downwards, rather than look at the Duke. It was a sore spot for her.*

"Jaric plans to leave for Aurora. I only hope he has not decided that he has had enough of my presence and somehow feels it is better to get out of dodge before sending Verran in to do the job. After all, Vladamir doesn't do contracts these days, does he?"

*She shook her head dismissively.*

"No, that does not seem like him either. Why would he when I have been of good benefit to the realm?"

*So, answering her own question, Angel allowed Ralean to move onto the subject of the Dracolich. She mostly drank in the information that he was willing to give her, adding her own thoughts. Her voice is quiet, but most serious as she leans forward on the chair.*

"Ralean, I want the Dracolich gone..for good. I intend to send out a mission for it, and perhaps go myself if I can. I highly suspect that the Dracolich harbors my dearest uncle - Soulreaver. I came here to speak of how possible this might be..and if you would consider aiding with the hunt. "

*Reclining back into her seat, Angel's cheeks took on a fresh blush as she smiled coyly and glanced towards the floor.*

"You are right. There are lore masters who could have told me the same thing. I see you have caught me out."

*She flushed a futher shade of pink, but forced herself to look up at him. Angel's blue eyes danced with delight as she swept some golden strands of loose hair behind her ear, whilst the rest of her hair hung straight in silken sweeps across her shoulder.*

<<continued on next post. >>
Back to top Go down
Angel
Admin
Angel

PostSubject: Re: Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey]   Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey] Icon_minitime2010-05-28, 23:32

"Allow me to tell you a story from my past."

*Angel smiled fondly of the memory she was about to tell.*

"When I was a small girl, my sister and I would visit the market every weekend. One time, I found the most wonderful toy but I could not have it, since it was so expensive. Each time, we would go back to the stall, and there it would be..waiting..perhaps for me? As young as I was, it was all I ever wanted. Every time I saw it, I realized how much I truely desired it..

My sister was very fond of pointing out to me that I didn't need another, since I already had one at home. She didn't understand that to me, the new toy was so exciting, so different and more fun. It was also, so far out of reach that I found it hard to resist..almost so very tempted to steal it. The one I had was old, tattered and boring. It didn't make me laugh, half as much. It just wasn't as magical.

One particular weekend, my mother took my sister back to her market. It was her birthday. Naturally, she picked the toy that I always wanted. She played with it, boasted over it. Although she thought she was being spiteful, little did my sister realize that she was teaching me a valuable lesson about life. I can't always have what I want..I should never assume I have the right to claim anything until the Gods grant it to me personally...fate will decide what is mine."

*Angel rose from her seat and made her way across his room until she was behind his desk. Perching herself on its corner, she leaned across it close to him, yet not touching for a second as she reached out with her hand and plucked out the purple rose from his belt.

Raising the beautiful flower in front of her face, she held it careful of its thorns, placed delicately between her thumb and forefinger. Her cool blue eyes focused upon it for a moment before she half closed them, bringing the rose closer still to her lips for the lightest of kisses.

It was in this moment that she cast the rose down onto the wooden desk, simply allowing it to slip from her fingers. Her mind was clouded, full of deep thoughts that could not be spoken. Since this was so, she moved swiftly away from the desk.

"I should leave."
Back to top Go down
Ralean SwyftBlade

Ralean SwyftBlade

PostSubject: Re: Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey]   Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey] Icon_minitime2010-05-29, 11:22

~Ral nods, as if the news about Jaric leaving did not surprise him. "Your husband is a proud man, despite the teachings of his order, and call it what you will, he has been living here on charity. He is tired of another kingdom's wars and struggles, and he desires to be home. Would that we all had the luxury to find that place, or make it." His voice there is low, almost sad, and he does not seem to focus on any one thing in the room in particular.

As she speaks of hunting the dracolich, he smiles bitterly and nods. "Aye, before you explained the reasons, I still would gladly place my sword at your service to put the beast to dust." he looks at her. "The beast served the demon, so it is likely the demon had a failsafe. He was powerful, but not stupid, and such contingencies are possible, and probable. Either way, harboring the demon or not, the beast is a threat." he looks at her a long moment, and nods slowly. "If the beast served and serves still the demon, it reasons he did not stray far from their lair. The place where you fought him..." he smiles thinly. "...seems the best place to start our hunt. You find the men that are willing, and get me their, and aye, I will find Charaan." he looks into her eyes, his own eyes dark, his hand clenching around the fine glass in his hand until it shatters against his leather gloves. "Blood for blood." his voice is soft, and his tone cold, uncharacteristic of Ralean.

Ralean listens closely to her story, not seeming to blink, remainging very still, shards of broken glass and water on the desk, his hand still a fist over the mess. he nods slightly, remaining silent a long moment. "I envy your childhood, My Queen." he smiles thinly. "The most telling memory of mine was watching the house my father built with his own two hands destroyed by the fearful breath of a dragon with my mother and unborn sibling inside, and watching the same beast nearly rip my father in two with a single strike. In a moment like that, where the difference is between action and inaction, I struck. The rest, as they say, is history." he looks at her, smiling ghostly. "You say fate will temper our desires. I say we make our own fate. The Gods watch how they will, but we determine the course of destiny."

As she moves, his eyes follow her, and as she sits, he turns to face her, his expression passive, waiting, calm. As she pulls the rose from his belt, he follows the motion of flower slowly. as she presses it to her lips, his eyes drop slightly one hand going to his temple with a soft sigh. He looks up at her, nodding again, softly, his hand coming down on the rose as it drops to the table, wrapping around it, unmindful of the bite of the thorns into his palm through the glove. He meets her eyes with his own, smiling a ghost light smile. "You ask much of this humble man, Angel. In hard times, you bring harder struggles."~
Back to top Go down
Angel
Admin
Angel

PostSubject: Re: Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey]   Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey] Icon_minitime2010-06-03, 10:41

*Angel smiled faintly, her eyes lingered upon him arguably long, yet she remained where she was, poised.*

"You'll find your place in this world, Ralean, only you can know where your heart belongs. I believe that the Gods do not put us in situations we cannot handle and you're no different. You have an inner strength is undeniable, even though times have been harsh. "

*Her eyes cast across to his desk and the mess made before it. She noted the water and glass. With understanding, she nodded and found his gaze once more. Angel returned to his desk, sneaking her hand into her side pocket to pluck out a white hankerchief, embroidered with a white dove. She reached out, innocently turning his palm upright and wrapped the thin cotton cloth around it. *

"I'd like to say I'm sorry for whats happened to your family, but it won't change a thing. Everyone I know has made personal sacrifices for what they want the most, you and I are no different. I can see just how you have learned from it. So clear is it that the Dragon's final death has made you who you are today...and yet, you still claim yourself as humble "

*Angel granted a warm smile and a shake of her head once again, letting go of his hand with gentle care. Her own hand, however, coyly reached down and toyed with the water, her finger trailing along the desk.*

"I don't intend to make things difficult for you. It would be foolish to risk the wrath of my husband, yet here I am anyway. No matter, I never intended to become a bother. In fact. I consider myself a little foolish for taking your pleseantries at Icehold to heart..I found them convincing, you sounded so genuine."

*Strangely, she laughed quitely and looked up at the ceiling briefly.*

"Regardless of how composed everyone is there, I could see a few mouths drop. I am not sure whether to applaud your bravery or slap you over the head for it!"

*With a shake of her head and some composure, Angel brushed her hand through some hair and recovered.*

"Now, really...I must concentrate. I shall send you a letter of my thoughts regarding the Dracolich and perhaps we'll set up a meeting for who shall be involved in the hunting party."
Back to top Go down
Ralean SwyftBlade

Ralean SwyftBlade

PostSubject: Re: Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey]   Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey] Icon_minitime2010-07-16, 23:56

~Ral smiles and nods, his eyes still dark. "My place, I berlieve, is what I will make of it. There are days I find it hard to believe in any fate but that which a man makes for himself. Thus, the powerful struggle to maintain myself."

as she wraps his hand, he gives hers a gentle squeeze of acknowledgment. "The bastard died, and I relished it, I will tell no lies. To hold to my former statement, every step taken, down every path, has made me what I am, a destiny which doesn't always smack of personal choice, but in the end...the decision was always mine." he allows his fingertips to linger on her palm a moment before resting his now-bandaged hand casually on the desktop, just away from the water. he leans one elbow on the arm of his chair, leaning some weight on it.

"Sincerity is easy when you lack the stomach for deception, Angel. In your position however, I take no offesne to you second-guessing anyone's motivation." he chuckles softly. "Especially considering some of your new family." He grins. 'besides, i find that the line between bravery and stupidity is very, very thin. The best decider is the outcome, not the action. Many stupid men are called brave because they triumphed, and many brave men stupid because they failed."

Ral nods again, leaning back into his chair. "I shall await your letter, and in the meantime, prepare the men I will be bringing with me, and make plans and provisions for it all."~
Back to top Go down
Angel
Admin
Angel

PostSubject: Re: Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey]   Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey] Icon_minitime2010-07-17, 01:52

Angel nodded as Ralean mentioned his personal power struggle, she knew that path all too well. His point was well made and she would have loved to have asked him what fate he really wanted for himself, but she highly suspected the answer would be obvious. It was not her place, so she said nothing and allowed the conversation to move on.

A small smile acknowledged his squeeze of her hand, but she was more intent on listening to what Ralean was saying about his past with the Dragon. "I'm not sure I'd be strong enough to lose my family the way you did. I couldn't even begin to imagine.." it caused a small shudder as she shook her head. "This is why Chaaran must go, not that I relish the potential loss of life to finish it - so do take care."

Those blue hues lowered as she glanced down to his fingertips, it was only a split second action but she caught his gaze as her eyes came back up. "You may want to make your own fate, but I'd rather that wasn't death. As for mine, yes, I chose to put myself in the situation I'm in. Aurora has benefitted from it and Jaric needs me even if he doesn't know it." She never mentioned herself, she wasn't even thinking about her own needs and wants. They were so far removed from the picture these days.

Clearing her throat, Angel straightened up, sweeping a hand down her clothes. "Yes, I'll be in touch...Thank you, your support with this means more than you know." In her mind, she could hear Ralean's words, The best decider is the outcome not the action and she walked towards the door with it there.

With one quick pause she looked to him, her tone was soft. "Sometimes you have to wonder if the outcome is worth loosing everything else for. What do you think?" " She wondered if he understood what she was talking about.
Back to top Go down
Ralean SwyftBlade

Ralean SwyftBlade

PostSubject: Re: Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey]   Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey] Icon_minitime2010-07-29, 07:40

~Ral looks up as she moves to the door, meeting her gaze a long moment in silence. He holds it there, his eyes sharp, allowing the quiet moment to stretch before he responds in a very soft, tired sounding voice. "When the cost of inaction is theessence of your being, your convictions, your very soul, then you have no choice but to act. For a man to have nothing else to lose, he becomes invincible in his way. The weight of our battle is that there will always be some cost to great deeds. We can only hope that whatever course those above decree for us, that the songs they sing of us here match the song of our souls." he smiles thinly, his mind clearly roiling with thoughts. "Without something worth giving everything for, we are nothing. What is a life with nothing greater than ourselves?" he chuckles, a dry, humorless sound, and nods. "There are men who would speak to you of such. Ask jaric, or better yet, Wulfgang of McLeod. And by no doubt you know well the story of Catona. If he were alive, I beseech you, ask him if the outcome is worth the cost. Ask my brother Anthony, who died fighting for these people who were not his own, and has no legacy but brothers not of his blood, sworn to vengeance. Ask your knight, the one that died beside you fighting the damnable demon, if the god's grant you the grace to speak to the dead. Men and women die everyday for things, great or small, and in that final moment, they are at their purest, because it is belief, it is conviction, it is FAITH that drives them to stand before the reaper's scythe and lay themselves down. The object of the faith is not as important as the fact that it is so strong, that the truth matters more than the outcome. Otherwise, the world would be full of cowards and fulls."~
Back to top Go down
Angel
Admin
Angel

PostSubject: Re: Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey]   Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey] Icon_minitime2010-08-01, 21:41

*Angel stood and listened, nodding slowly in agreement. Her eyes were intent on Ralean's and it was clear she was absorbing what he was saying.*

"Your words will stay with me, everything you have said rings true. I wish you well in this mess, Ralean. Make your own fate if you wish it - but I've seen the will of the Gods and none can argue with them. So I shall pray for you.."

*As sharp as her words, she held sympathy and this could be seen in her eyes. Angel smiled faintly.*

"See you soon.."

*It was brief, but Angel knew she had pushed it with the time she had spent with him already.*

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey]   Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Office Dealings. [contin. Every journey]
Page 1 of 1