Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Starting anew...

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Artimus Morningstar

Artimus Morningstar

Starting anew... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting anew...   Starting anew... - Page 2 Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 15:02

Artimus almost choked on the last sip of tea, but managed to keep it under control. Dinner, with Rensain. Visiting Draco was looking more attractive all the time.

He had realised - mainly because no trap had been sprung yet, and tea was actually very nice and refreshing - that there was a very good chance this was all perfectly innocent. Could the wife of Rensain REALLY be this nice?

The offer of dinner sounds divine, M'Lady. Does your husband still favour the pastel shades of his curtains and drapes? I always thought it was an odd combination myself, what with all the goblins wandering freely around the place.

He had to think fast how to handle this, but the answer to this question could hold the key for Artimus.
Back to top Go down
Maire Caladore

Maire Caladore

PostSubject: Re: Starting anew...   Starting anew... - Page 2 Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 15:30

It was Maires turn to be startled. She wrinkled her nose and then chuckled " That is how his mansion was the first time I met him. He really didnt care for it and it was something his first wife did. Rensain and I have much more refined tastes. Simple elegance is what I like. Extreme opulance is just showy and means nothing but true taste ...now that is hard to find"

She continued as she straightened up the table and the increments she had used for the tea sampling "The goblins are in Marloc. We have human staffing now. Rensain trusts me to oversee the matter of the house and its comforts for our family and our guests. We have entertained a few times and plan to have more dinnerparties in the future. Rensain is a wonderful host and as always a elegant dressed man. " she smiled " of course you would know that. He has always prided himself on his appearance. "

She directed her conversation towards him " Have you family? I was teasing about the ladies and you didnt say that you were married so I assume that you dont have a wife hidden somewhere in a basement chained to a wall?" she laughed but her eyes were a bit wary as she waited for his answer.
Back to top Go down
Artimus Morningstar

Artimus Morningstar

PostSubject: Re: Starting anew...   Starting anew... - Page 2 Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 15:53

This was all very interesting indeed. Rensain was no longer at Marloc, and his wife did seem genuine indeed. Artimus had long suspected the sudden change in décor at the castle wasn't Rensain's idea, it was nice to have that confirmed.
It sounded as if he was a changed man.

Not in Marloc any longer? That's a shame. It was such a nice place. Was it heck!
And no, I have no wife. The life of a travelling merchant has no time, I'm afraid. I don't spend long enough in each place to warrant it. I'll be staying at the Dancing Gnome tavern for a few days, should you find a gap in your busy schedule to accommodate me. But please, do not go to any effort. I only dealt with your husband a few times, and I'm sure he wouldn't remember me.

Artimus gave a small pray for that heartless cow of a bar-wench, for providing him with a suitable location to stay in. As long as Maire didn't realise The Dancing Gnome burnt down several years ago.

But enough about me. How is the Queen doing. Bathory, isn't it, if I remember. I believe I met her once before. Such a nice way with words she has, don't you think?

he was glad to finally have someone to get valuable information from.
Back to top Go down
Maire Caladore

Maire Caladore

PostSubject: Re: Starting anew...   Starting anew... - Page 2 Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 16:03

Maire nodded " I will have a message sent there as soon as I am able to talk to Rensain. " she had no idea that the Inn wasnt there. She wasnt familar with all of Merridia and recently she frequented only the marketplace and the area around the castle. She gave him a look of disbelief when he said what a nice place Marloc was " I have many memories of Marloc, it is where I met Rensain and where my son was born but unless you like swamps I wouldnt particularly say that it was a nice place" there was no accounting for taste however so she dropped that particular subject.

When he mentioned the Queen she seemed very neutral. "She definitely does have a way. I havent had dealings with her for a long time. I saw the King not too long ago when he signed our marriage certificate. In fact I dont think she has been in the limelight for a while. At least Rensain hasnt mentioned her. No balls recently....that seems to be a bevy of gossip ridden events in Aegis. Things have been rather staid as of late. Its almost like Aegis is holding its breath for something."

She laughed " but then they always say there is a calm before a storm. I guess we shall have to see. I hear only whispers of gossip while in the Inn. There is always fodder for the fishwives....I have been busy with my apothocary to tell you the truth so I dont know the most recent happenings. You would have to speak to my husband about that "
Back to top Go down
Artimus Morningstar

Artimus Morningstar

PostSubject: Re: Starting anew...   Starting anew... - Page 2 Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 16:56

Curiouser and curiouser. Had the Queen vanished? But there was slightly more news.
May I pass on my congratulations to both you and your husband on your recent... son. He sounded sincere, and in some ways he guessed he was. Part of him was actually contemplating taking her up on the offer of meeting Rensain. He certainly sounded like a changed man.

M'Lady, you have been more than gracious in your hospitality to a stranger. I shall certainly be passing on the word to others of the Travelling Salesmen Guild, that when they are in this fair city, they should pay a visit. Once you are fully established, of course. However, if you would excuse me, I have a few matters to attend to before I leave this fair city.

He reached out, offering his hand.
Back to top Go down
Maire Caladore

Maire Caladore

PostSubject: Re: Starting anew...   Starting anew... - Page 2 Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 22:03

She took his hand and bowed her head " It was nice meeting you. Feel free to come by anytime you wish and I will get that invitation to you within a day or so. I just need to check with Rensain" she smiled and then walked him to the door "I wish you well on your business. Things seem to be booming. Willow will be opening her glass shop and that will bring business to her for I will need things as well from her. You should consider opening a shop Mr. Fremell. It would indeed be welcoming to have more traffic."

She opened the door for him " and you must come see my garden when it is planted, Rensain is going to let me build a Solarium for the Thunderlands arent conducive to gardens but with a Solarium I shall be able to have a beautiful garden inside" she chuckled"forgive my chatter, I shall let you be on your way, I do look forward to meeting again"
Back to top Go down
Artimus Morningstar

Artimus Morningstar

PostSubject: Re: Starting anew...   Starting anew... - Page 2 Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 23:08

He lightly kissed the back of her hand.

It was, charming to meet you. I look forward to the invitation, but as i say, please do not put yourself out.

He stepped over to the doorway, starting to feel guilty over his deception now. She had been so kind to him.

Yes, I look forward to seeing the garden.

He opened the door and stepped out onto the street, taking one last look at the face of Mrs. Rensain before he pulled his hood up to conceal his face once more, and started off down the road, head lowered, thoughts tumbling through his mind.

Obviously Rensain wouldn't recognise the travelling salesman, but he would he be savy enough to link the description of this conman with a certain ex-captain of the royal guard? And if so, what would his reaction be? Anger at me deceiving his wife, or would he understand the value of information gathering?

However, thoughts for his own status were pushed to one side for now. What had she said about the Queen going missing?
He stopped at a crossroads, and turned slowly to look up at the castle, looming over the city like a wart on a beauty queen.
There would surely be some answers up there, but not right now. Not now.
Now, he had a few more things to sort out.

He was more than happy with the information eh had found out. Not happy at the content, just happy that after the seeking he had done in Cape Salarain, Grorr and here, the place he had found the best information was a tea-shop and not a tavern after all.

"You need to change your operating manner" he thought to himself.

Once he had found if is his name was cleared, he'd come out of the shadows. He'd have to buy Mrs. Rensain a gift to apologise of course, but he did hope she could forgive him. She seemed so nice, and he did like that tea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting anew...   Starting anew... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting anew...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Cities :: Meriddia-
Jump to: