Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Business at the palace

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kharne Serafin

Kharne Serafin

Business at the palace Empty
PostSubject: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime2012-01-28, 21:52

The flames danced to a ditty none could hear, save for the occasional pop where some hidden pocket within the wood was breached by the heat. The light from the fireplace cast out upon the figure who stood watching, and sometimes influencing, the performance within.
He was youthful in appearance, seeming to be no older than his mid twenties until you saw the golden orbs of his eyes with their vertical pupils. Three shallow, faint scars marred his left cheek; running from close to his ear and down to his jawline. Dark brown hair was worn mid-length and swept backwards but no amount of skill had ever got rid of its slightly scruffy appearance for long and he'd long since tired of trying. He was shorter in stature than was average in Aegis but neither this nor the simple clothing he wore hid the air of a predator whenever he moved.
Kharne turned away from the fireplace, idly casting his gaze about the great hall of the palace. He'd not seen neither Ava or Vladimir since his arrival, though that wasn't too uncommon. It was a relief in part as he knew how to deal with Ava, but Vlad. Well he respected Vladimir, only a fool wouldn't, but Kharne had a habit of pissing off the wrong people. A trait he'd worked hard at keeping on a tight leash, though he wasn't always successful. He was well into his second century after all.
The only reason Kharne had visited was on a fairly mediocre task which several members of his staff could easily have undertaken. It got him out of his own keep though and it had been too long since he'd been out and about, what with the everyday running of a bustling port city which was rapidly becoming an important trade city with merchants visiting from far and wide. There had even been traders visiting from Kharnes own homeland of Perrinia.
He shook his head at that thought, while he had almost no ties to that distant continent barring a few cousins and estranged membership of the Serafin clan of dragons it was good to see that the borders were opening up since rulership had passed back to the other races.
Kharne watched as a palace clerk approached and spoke with him for a few moments about the income of taxes from Cape Salarain and what budgetry impact there would be from the seemingly neverending growth and rebuilding that was taking place there. Ever since the attack by Chaaran it seemed that architects and masons were forever trying to improve on what had once been. Oh the ruined areas had been rebuilt and more, but with that came more of everything. People who needed homes, then became a workforce who needed food, markets, trading, protecting and all the rest.
A mug set on a small table beside the fireplace lifted gently, almost casually, to Kharne's hand. He enjoyed the aroma of the exotic drink, hot chocolate, for which he had always had a love of before slowly sipping at it. His eyes never stopped moving, however, as he couldn't shake the feeling that the midden was about to hit the windmill.
Back to top Go down
http://wrinkly-ninja.deviantart.com/
Angel
Admin
Angel

PostSubject: Re: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime2012-01-29, 00:04

Angel had taken a thousand men into the building that was the Meriddian Palace. The troop's had followed her and her armored horse all the way, and she was proud to guide them. They had been met with little resistance, the Aegian troops had been alerted ahead of time of their arrival by Vladamir.

All had been instructed to make camp in the Courtyard, and she had instructed Captains to station their men appriopriately, removing the Aegian guards from their posts for the meantime.

Now the moment was finally here. She knew Verran wouldn't be far as she stepped with caution from the main hall of the familiar Palace through to the Throne Room. Her mind didn't take in Kharne as she kneeled at the door way, and gave the sign of the Auroran symbol of their religion. Closing her blue eyes, Angel quoted a well known prayer under her breath.

It was the first time she had claimed a land in the honor of Aurora. Her mind flashed, she had memories there - the dress she wore at tha Aegian ball the night that Jaric had married her. The people dancing, smiling and drinking. Her mind flooded to Bathory and the powerful arguement that the two of them had suffered. Her feelings were swamped with resentment and hatred towards the woman, Angel was still bitter with her.

Opening her eyes and standing up, they widened as she saw Kharne. Brushing some blonde hair behind her ear, she suddenly felt conscious. "Kharne...its been a long time.." she uttered, walking further into the room.
Back to top Go down
Kharne Serafin

Kharne Serafin

PostSubject: Re: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime2012-01-29, 10:59

Kharne sighed quietly as he heard all the commotion echoing through the palace, a thousand armed men moving throughout the palace were hardly quiet. Then came a figure who caused Kharne's eyes to widen in faint surprise.
He could feel the angelic blood in her veins from where he stood as the woman quietly uttered her prayers and instead of disturbing her he drained his mug and set it down quietly. Her thought's were a jumble as she was obviously reliving memories, just as he had only moments before, then one emerged through the others.
Claimed for Aurora.
So it was finally done then. With Vladimir on the throne the realm had been all but Auroran for years, aside from the fact that the old vampire seemed to enjoy going against his brothers wishes. Yet here was Jaric's wife claiming sovereign authority, so where had Ava and Vlad gone?
He smiled faintly at her surprise and nodded in cautious greeting.
"Indeed it has Angel." he said quietly, though he seemed to speak her name more as a title.
Back to top Go down
Angel
Admin
Angel

PostSubject: Re: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime2012-01-29, 20:03

Angel looked around as she walked towards Kharne, eventually pausing before him. "You're probably wondering what I'm doing here.." she began, unaware that he could read her thoughts. "Don't be alarmed. We are not attacking the castle...its been signed over. I'm the new Queen of Aegis."

Angel glanced over his shoulder and looked up at the two thrones. "See it as..a new beginning." She smiled faintly and shook her head, laughing a little. "Hard to believe it..I was once a barmaid, born and raised in Salarain. Can't believe I'm stood in this room and looking at those chairs knowing that I'll be the helm of it all." She paused to contemplate it, then continued. "We'll have to celebrate. Yes, a Ball or something of sorts!" Privately, Angel thought it was a shame that Jaric wasn't there to share the moment, but she wasn't going to let that stop her.
Back to top Go down
Kharne Serafin

Kharne Serafin

PostSubject: Re: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime2012-01-29, 20:48

Kharne blinked in surprise, his mouth moving as though to speak but unable to find any words that could do the situation justice for the moment.
Signed over?
Angel was still speaking and Kharne was hearing the words but he was having trouble taking it all in. Jared's going to be pissed. He could detect nothing of deceit from her thoughts.
"What do you mean, signed over?" he finally asked as he regained his calm demeanour.
Back to top Go down
Angel
Admin
Angel

PostSubject: Re: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime2012-01-29, 21:31

Angel caught Kharne's suprise and really, she couldn't expect his reaction to be anything but. "Yes, signed. He signed a treaty of peace and now the realm is mine. Vladamir has handed over the rights and responsibilties. The contract is legal, I've spent days looking over it."

Her blue eyes flickered from the throne and back to Kharne. She exhaled deeply. "It was better than war. He knew he couldn't win and this was a more...peaceful solution. Trust me, I intend to good with this realm, I can improve it, I know it."
Back to top Go down
Arianna Serafin

Arianna Serafin

PostSubject: Re: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime2012-01-30, 08:35

::She'd left her bow in her room at the inn in Salarain, deciding that carrying into the palace, no matter who is in residence, would be a bad idea. She does occasionally feel to make sure her belt knife is in place, though, belted over a long tunic of a deep forest green, over smooth brown pants and matching supple boots. After years of ending the day in torn and dirty gowns, she'd all but abandoned them in favor of clothes more suitable for travel, for climbing and wandering and hunting. Her red-gold hair is tied back in a thick braid, though perhaps as much hair sticks out than is actually held in the braid. She'd all but given up on that, too, over the years. Her mismatched eyes take in everything as she nears the palace, everything she remembers from her childhood, and things that are different, too.

Before stepping inside, she tucks her wayward hair back behind her ears and smooths her tunic, nervous despite herself. It's been a long time since she's seen her mother, or anyone she remembers from Aegis. She's always been a bit shy, but she's become confident enough in herself to banish most of that shyness, and as she goes inside, it's with a smile on her face::
Back to top Go down
Kharne Serafin

Kharne Serafin

PostSubject: Re: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime2012-01-30, 10:08

"The documentation will have to be verified and checked by others, Angel, or you'll still end up with all kinds of trouble with people accusing you of forgeries. Where are Ava and Vladimir now?"
Kharne was surprised by the fact that he really wasn't surprised. What the Auroran queen said made perfect sence, and the benefits of avoiding war were obvious. The realm had been through far too much and needed a time of peace and security to recoup it's wealth and strength. Ava and Vlad both were master manipulators and this move in the face of tensions between the two nations could have Asgaroth knows how many unseen consequences, but not all of them bad. There were still threats out there that needed dealing with.

(I'm posting as though Arianna hasn't entered the throne room yet, not blatantly ignoring her lol)
Back to top Go down
Angel
Admin
Angel

PostSubject: Re: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime2012-01-30, 10:36

Angel flashed Kharne with a look. "I'm the Queen of Aurora. No one accuses me of forgeries if they want to keep their head. Now look, I'm aware this is all new to everyone, but it is what it is. I appreciate your concern." She shook her head. "I shall hold a council meeting, I expect you to attend and at such time, I'll answer all the questions I can. In the meantime, lets all act with some normalcy."

Angel turned and further approached the throne, one foot up onto a step when Kharne asked about Ava and Vlad. Visibly she shrugged and suspected that she'd hear that question a lot. "I don't know where Ava is...I have only seen Vlad. At this moment in time, I don't know where either of them are." If Kharne thought about it, he'd notice that Jaric wasn't with her either.

"The Aurorans are not here to repress the people, we are here to give them freedom. I will make changes, yes, but with the best of intentions for this realm to thrive. I want to invest in the realm so that it can prosper. Our troops will combine, for a start, and the Aegian troops will get the benefit of Auroran training." As any would know, the Aurorans were known for being disciplined. There will no longer be any tensions.

((I am posting as if Arianna hasn't entered the room also.))
Back to top Go down
Arianna Serafin

Arianna Serafin

PostSubject: Re: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime2012-01-30, 12:49

::Her fingers trail along the wall as she walks slowly through the hallways, remembering. It all looks so much smaller now. Or maybe she's just bigger. She can almost see herself as a little girl, running down these same halls, vexing her nursemaids with her desire to explore and play, often under someone's feet. She laughs softly to herself and makes her way to the throne room, twirling a lock of errant hair around one finger as she goes. She pushes open the throne room door and walks inside, unsure of who or what she'll find, but still anxiously happy::
Back to top Go down
Kharne Serafin

Kharne Serafin

PostSubject: Re: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime2012-02-01, 08:07

Kharne offered a faint smile in response to her look, as though either unaware of it or just paying it no heed.
"I know you're speaking the truth Angel, but others don't have my ways of determining that." he said calmly, looking thoughtful for a moment before continuing.
"You say it is completely legal and signed for the abdication of Ava Bathory and Vladimir Carthillion, then following that the documents would need to be verified. It calms those who might fear foul play, without having to resort to yelling off with his head. You then take your place with everyone impressed with your willingness to set an example of fair play. You lived in Salarain, Angel, so you know the people. Many of them still know you. It was a good tavern."
He finished with a quick grin to lighten his words.
"I'd wish you luck, but I don't think you'll need it." he said as he glanced around. "Is Jaric still overseeing Icehold?"
Then the doors smoothly began to open and Kharnes attention was immediately captured by the figure in the doorway.
He was stunned by how much Arianna had grown, no longer the pint sized escapologist but instead a young woman.
Welcome home he thought as his smile returned.
Back to top Go down
Angel
Admin
Angel

PostSubject: Re: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime2012-02-01, 12:06

"With all due respects, Kharne, I don't need to answer to you - or anyone else in this matter. Either people will accept my rule or make the poor decision not to. It will be discussed in the meeting what has already been agreed to between Vladamir and I, and how things will change." He grinned, but she wasn't looking as friendly anymore. Angel just stood there and stared at him, vexed by the idea that he was trying to offer advice.

The tune changed as Kharne mentioned her tavern, and she laughed a little. "You remember my tavern? Oh my..such a long time ago." As Kharne asked about Jaric, Angel felt her heartache tug, yet she smiled and and nodded. "Yes, Jaric is currently in Icehold but he shall be returning here to retake his position as General." That was enough information of that nature, she thought, glancing to the door and seeing Arianna walk in.

"Oh...hello..." Angel straightened up, not recognising her. "I'm Angel, Queen of..Aurora..and Aegis - well, everywhere. You are?" She discreetly MindLinked the Twins with the order to "Tighten security" around the palace.
Back to top Go down
Arianna Serafin

Arianna Serafin

PostSubject: Re: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime2012-02-01, 16:16

::Her eyes fall on Kharne, and her smile becomes a grin in a second. She takes a few quick steps toward him, almost a run, before she even notices there is someone else in the room. She stops quickly on hearing the woman's voice, embarrassed and a little ashamed of herself for not having seen her immediately. Not keeping her wits about her could get her killed in the wild. It's not a habit she should allow herself to fall into. Still, she hadn't seen him in such a long time! The woman's words are a shock. Queen of Aegis? Where was her mother? She looks down at herself and decides a curtsy would look foolish in pants, so she settles for a low bow, with a glance at Kharne as if for approval of her actions::

Forgive me for intruding, Queen Angel. I didn't know there had been... changes. My name is Arianna Serafin. I just returned to Aegis and came here to pay my respects.
Back to top Go down
Angel
Admin
Angel

PostSubject: Re: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime2012-02-01, 18:36

Angel liked the girl, and she smiled warmly as she turned her attention closer to her. "Arianna..." she said, nodding. "Ah yes! In theory...your my niece, yes? Ava Bathory's daughter." She walked towards her and held out her hand for Arianna to shake. "My goodness, you've grown." Angel couldn't help but giggle at this thought.

She looked towards Kharne and noted privately the likeness between father and daughter. Yet, Angel could also see whisps of Ava in her, and she blinked, wondering more about the past. Kharne...well, he seemed so nice. Bathory, on the other hand was far more the cold hearted bitch. She couldn't imagine them falling in love.
Back to top Go down
Kharne Serafin

Kharne Serafin

PostSubject: Re: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime2012-02-06, 06:03

Kharne stood politely as Angel and his daughter made each others aquaintence, though this was in part due to him still being stunned at how much Arianna had grown. He loosely wondered if time flew by so quickly for everyone.
Angels thoughts almost made him chuckle, though he held it in. He had indeed loved Ava once, almost to the degree of obsession, and in some ways he still did. When he saw through all that immortality had made her become, past the demon and the vampire to the human she had once been. Yet with a fiery temper which with her strength and power made angering her a very dangerous proposition indeed. He still remembered the great Vladimir legging it with a grand piano sailing through the air after him.
Back to top Go down
Arianna Serafin

Arianna Serafin

PostSubject: Re: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime2012-02-06, 14:42

::She steps forward to meet the queen and shakes her hand with a bright smile::

Yes, I'm her daughter. Am I your niece? I'm so sorry, I don't remember you. I was young when I left and more prone to causing mischief than learning who people were.

::Her laugh is sheepish, as she thinks she's thankful she doesn't cause mischief anymore. Well, at least not as often. She itches to ask about her mother but with another glance at her father, she decides it might be best to talk to him in private later. She's just barely returned. The last thing she wants is to offend the current ruler of Aegis. She doesn't mention her relationship to Kharne, though, just in case he'd rather it not be known, for whatever reason::
Back to top Go down
Angel
Admin
Angel

PostSubject: Re: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime2012-02-06, 19:43

Angel could understand Arianna's confusion and she tried best to explain. "I don't expect you to remember. You're not my niece by true blood, unfortunately, but none the less, I shall consider you a friend. I'm married to Jaric Carthallion, who is brother to Vladamir, who in turn married and has children with your mother. So, there is a connection, even if it is mild." She laughed a little and invited Arianna to sit down.

"If anyone would care for something to drink, I'm sure the servants will be more than happy to accomodate you." She looked to Kharne "I'm aware not everything has been explained...at the meeting, it shall be."

Back to top Go down
Arianna Serafin

Arianna Serafin

PostSubject: Re: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime2012-02-06, 20:31

::She pulls a chair up at the queen's invitation and reflexively reaches for her bow to set it aside before sitting. There is a very brief moment of confusion before she remembers that she'd left it back in her room in Salarain. Despite a flash of irritation at its lack, she's especially glad to have left it behind. This queen, and how she came to sit on her mother's throne, is a mystery she must puzzle out. Still, even as she studies the woman, her one blue eye and one gold one taking in enough detail to satisfy the huntress in her, she can't help but like her. She takes the chair and crosses one leg over the other, comfortable yet still able to jump up quickly::

I'd be honored to have your friendship, Queen Aunt.

::Her tone is both playful and serious in one. She isn't surprise by the news that her mother had married Vladamir, given that he is her siblings' father. Would that marriage make him her step-father, then? She files that thought away to examine later. She listens to what the queen says to Kharne, thoughtful::

Have I interrupted? I'm sorry. I can come back another time, if you prefer.
Back to top Go down
Kharne Serafin

Kharne Serafin

PostSubject: Re: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime2012-02-08, 15:45

Kharne shook his head a little. "No you weren't interrupting anything more than me being a pain." he said with a rueful look. "And before that I was just getting some more mundane work finished off."
He turned to Angel for a moment and nodded slightly, his expression looking apologetic for going on about the legitimacy of her claim.
"And it's alright, Arianna, our new queen knows you're my daughter. You've got my eye." He said with a chuckle, tapping the side of his face beside his right eye.
His expression had become more open and friendly now. Angel was right, what's done was done and the realm was in for some major changes. But he believed Angel when she said she wanted what was best for the realm. Her own thoughts practicly screamed that at him.
Back to top Go down
Angel
Admin
Angel

PostSubject: Re: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime2012-02-08, 22:59

"Call me Queen Angel, Arianna or everyone will think they can get away with calling me Queen Aunt." She smiled warmly, looking to Kharne and then back to Arianna with a small wink, adding "...you haven't interupted anything at all. I wouldn't have invited you to sit if this were the case." Angel instantly found herself liking Arianna. "If you enjoy your time here, and work hard at your education, Arianna, I might just allow you to become a Lady in Waiting to myself - if that position suits you, and it may not. I, once, wanted desperately to become a Knight of the Order of the Dragon working for Lord Jaric. If I can work hard and become a Queen, who knows how far you might come in life? The world is at your doorstep, I promise you." She smiled again, her tone comforting and confident.

The servant bringing a glass jug of water with sliced lemons to the table and disappears, returning with some empty glasses. As the servant pours the water, Angel turns an looks towards Kharne. She laughed a little. "Oh yes, I could tell that you were both related - you can't miss it!" Why, she wondered, hadn't Ava married this man? She still didn't understand it. But then, if that had happened then she wouldn't be related through marriage to Ava. Her face nor eyes expressed her feelings of resentment towards the woman and what had happened to her. Ava had caused enough trouble in her marriage and there was some relief that she was no longer around to cause more. Still, she took a sip of water and pushed those deep thoughts away. Her voice was still calm and pleasant as she continued the conversation "I see some of your mother in you, Arianna. You're very beautiful."
Back to top Go down
Arianna Serafin

Arianna Serafin

PostSubject: Re: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime2012-02-09, 13:44

::Laughter bubbles up past her lips, a free and open sound speaking only of amusement. She starts to run long fingers through her hair until they get caught in her braid. With another giggle for that, she pats her hair back into place, as much as she's ever able to do, and just ignores the wisps that never allow themselves to be caught no matter how much she tries to coax them::

Queen Angel, I thank you for the compliment, and your encouragement. I don't think I'm the kind of lady in waiting you'd be looking for, though. I fear I'd only embarrass you. My nurses were rarely anything but exasperated with me, poor things. I don't think I've ever managed to keep a gown tidy for more than an hour or two. In fact, I don't often manage to stay in the same room for more than a couple hours, either.

::She flashes another sheepish grin, this time in her father's direction, as she remembers some of the trouble she caused when she was small. With another easy laugh, she squeezes one eye closed, her blue one, and blinks innocently at him with the other::
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Business at the palace   Business at the palace Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Business at the palace
Page 1 of 1