Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A perfect business venture

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Maire Caladore

Maire Caladore

A perfect business venture Empty
PostSubject: A perfect business venture   A perfect business venture Icon_minitime2010-04-05, 17:50

Maire dressed and assured Rensain she would be back for the evening meal. A simple green gown with a empire waist, her sash sewn with silver thread , was all she wore. She had no need to be ostentatious, she wsa on the hunt for a piece of property. Her dark hair was swept up into a french roll and a silver comb held the silken strands stubbornly in place. She reviewed her reflection in the looking glass and noted that her complexion seemed to glow. A woman in love was hard to miss and it was written all over her visage. She had a burden indeed but she was not alone. Rensain ...ever present.

A carriage was brought around and she donned a cloak for she wasnt sure what the weather held today.Taking with her a simple leather satchel in which she held all her lists and notes she entered into the carriage. She was going to a broker to see if there were any parcels for sell in a area that would be convient for patrons as well as herself.The location was very important, too far and people would not come and yet she wanted a place in the respectable part of town. Rensain would hardly agree to her being in the poor quarter at night alone.

The carriage ride wasnt too long and the time flew by. Maire pored over the recent lists she had made. She had neat figures and a outline of a plan that even Rensain was impressed with. She wasnt a flighty woman and she had taken everything she could into account. She looked up when she could smell the sea air again and the buildings became closer together. When they reached the brokers building she came out of the carriage her eyes alight and a determined air about her. She wasnt in a hurry and she wasnt going to pick anything that wasnt perfect. The Caladores would have it no other way.
Back to top Go down
Maire Caladore

Maire Caladore

PostSubject: Re: A perfect business venture   A perfect business venture Icon_minitime2010-04-06, 17:31

The man that met her seemed a bit nervous. He was a redfaced man with a balding pate. He came out to greet Maire " Milady, please come in" Maire gave a scant nod and followed the man into his office. The floor was waxed to a high shine but the furnishings were rather sparse. The man had a desk and there were a few high backed chairs for customers to sit.

The man seemed apologetic" I usually dont service the gentry here . " Maire raised a brow" I dont care for any pomp I wish to buy property and pretty tea cakes and lush furnishings do not impress me"

The man nodded and swallowed roughly" Well now Milady, what are you looking for?" Maire spoke of her business and her needs and the man tapped his fingers against his desk. " It will take a few days but I will see what is available and if anyone would like to sell. Where can I reach you ?"

Maire spoke" You can reach me at Lord Caladores residence in the thunderlands" the mans face drained a bit in color. He prayed he wouldnt run across Lord Caladore. The name went far in him going beyond his usual call of duty to a customer. He told her he get a message to her as soon as possible.

Maire thanked him and then made her way back into the carriage. She still had some errands to run. She needed fixed prices and to check the city for supplies and the ones she couldnt get in Aegis she would simply have to have shipped in. It was bound to be a long day.
Back to top Go down
Maire Caladore

Maire Caladore

PostSubject: Re: A perfect business venture   A perfect business venture Icon_minitime2010-04-09, 12:17

Maire asked the coachman to let her off in the Marketplace. " I want you to meet me at the eating establishment that we just passed in two hours" The coachman nodded and Maire began her sojourn into the market place. The smells were varied, rich spices hailing of far away lands, fresh fish smelling of the sea, and flowers that burst with color as they did with fragrance. Hawkers could be found here plying their various wares, anything from cloth and jewlery to promised cures of gout and back pain.

People from all walks of life could be seen here. Maires eyes took in it all as they flitted from vignette to vignette. A woman who looked harried with three children in tow and one at her breast trying to fill a basket of apples, a discerning merchent checking the weave of material from the clothing seller. People came to market for the basics such as food and rough cloth to sew their shirts, to finding the latest decor and craftsmen to decorate their mansions. It was the one place where all could come together. There were some ladies that would delicatly hold up a handkerchief against some of the cloying smells that were less unpleasnt. These smells didnt bother Maire as she was on a mission.

Even missions sometimes become sidetracked as she saw the rainbow of colors coming from a particular merchant. She wove her way through the small throng and stood captivated by the silks and brocades, the velevets that gleamed and shimmered when moved. Her fingertips irrisistably ran over the various fabrics of sapphire and emerald, creme,l and the warm browns that lay in bolts like a rainbow upon the slanted shelves.

She hadnt many dresses as they werent needed within the temples. She knew that she and Rensain would entertain and besides what man did not like his lover dressed to please his eye? Maire contemplated for a moment and then drew out her purse. It was not for the business venture per say but if she had to meet with merchants it was better to have raiment that spoke of her postion.

A pleasently roundfaced woman cheerfully came to her side" Can I help you milady? " Maire gave a small smile and a nod" Indeed, I shall have a bolt of the purple there, the emerald in the velvet and some of the silver thread...." The lady smiled wide " I think those are wonderful choices, they shall go with your hair and skin" Maire picked out a few more bolts and threads and trimmings and lace " Deliver these to Lord
Caladores in the Thunderlands and I will pay you the rest then. I will also need a seamstress as well" The woman smiled proudly" I am your seamstress then milady. I have sewn all my life and know the latest of ladies fashion" Maire spoke " Very well..." She was about to leave when a fabric like gossmer caught her eye. A secret smile crossed her face as she added"That bolt as well....I am sure that it can be made into something rather delightful" The final price had changed and so she brought the bill to half with the coin she had with her.

She stepped out of the small awning and rather pleased she spoke to herself" Maire on to business" she was determined that this apothocary would come about. She was a woman again on a misson even if she had a small lapse....
Back to top Go down
Meghan

Meghan

PostSubject: Re: A perfect business venture   A perfect business venture Icon_minitime2010-04-10, 06:59

::Meghan's mind is on her next project, a commission from the owner of a home in Meriddia that took a liking to her work. Her thoughts examine the mental image she has of the home and its contents as she wanders the market, looking for things that will complement the furniture that she can work with. As she passes one of the cloth stalls, she notices a woman standing outside it, and stops on a whim. She doesn't look at the woman, but stands a few steps away and surreptitiously adjusts the ribbon holding her unruly red curls back from her face while she softly speaks, as if to herself, but only for the ears of those closest to her::

There's a stall down this street a ways. An older woman, gray hair in a bun. She's wearing brown today. Her cloth doesn't look like much, but you tell her Meghan sent you to her, and she'll show you what she keeps for friends. Good cloth, worthy of a lady, but cheaper than a shop like this one.

::She shifts her bag from one shoulder to the other, careful not to drop any of the materials she'd already purchased today. Brushing some dust off the skirt of her dress, a plain, simple cut but well-made, she turns and walks back in the direction she'd come, toward the stall she'd mentioned, just in case the woman is interested::
Back to top Go down
Maire Caladore

Maire Caladore

PostSubject: Re: A perfect business venture   A perfect business venture Icon_minitime2010-04-11, 20:17

Maire raised a brow at the offering of the mysterious woman. It seemed she knew the marketplace, or at least that is the air she held. Maire quickly surmised that if she could talk to the woman that perhaps she would have other useful information such as the best broker of spices and herbs and craftsmen. Maire knew it would be optimum as well to have someone be a local and familar with the vendors to get the best deals.

Normally she would ignore a strangers comments but this was a open market and Maire would be careful. She followed the woman, not really interested in the fabric so much as the woman herself. She casually caught up to her and spoke. " You seem to know the wares of the marketplace. The fabric was simply a distraction for me. I came here on quite another venture." She smiled her dark eyes showing nothing. "I traveled a bit to get here and though I have some more errands to do, a cup of tea would be nice." she gestured toward the Inn that she had asked her coachman to pick her up at. "I planned to have my midday meal there, perhaps we could talk over a cup of tea and some refreshment? I am Maire....." She didnt mention the Caladore name as some people were very wary of it. She wasnt officially married to Rensain yet anyway. Even if she was she didnt feel the need to throw the name out there upon the first few sentances with a stranger.
Back to top Go down
Meghan

Meghan

PostSubject: Re: A perfect business venture   A perfect business venture Icon_minitime2010-04-12, 20:49

::She looks at Maire in surprise, not having really expected the woman to follow, and slows her pace to join the woman in going into the inn::

Meghan, and I could use something to drink, myself. This is as good a place as any.

::She smiles brightly, pleased at Maire's invitation. She usually keeps to herself, besides her interaction with shopkeepers and her own customers during her near-daily excursions to the markets, but lately she's been feeling more social, maybe because of the unusual houseguest she'd had::

What brings you to Meriddia, if not the fabric? Maybe there's something I could help you with.
Back to top Go down
Maire Caladore

Maire Caladore

PostSubject: Re: A perfect business venture   A perfect business venture Icon_minitime2010-04-13, 13:23

Maire had a air of confidence about her but she was not born into nobility. She felt no affinity in particular with those of the gentry nor of common folk either. Her critiera of worthy people was not dependant upon ones lineage. She found a table and took off her cloak folding and hanging it on the back of the chair before she sat down. She studied Meghan for a few seconds and then when interupted by the server she orderd a cup of tea and a serving of bread and cheese. The Inn was clean and it was dotted with merchants and not drunken revelery so there would be no impediment to conversation.

" Please Meghan, you are my guest order what you would like." When the server hurried off to get the ladies their order Maire rested her elbows on the table and templed her fingers pressing her lips against her fingertips. She finally spoke," Well I am going to take on a business here in Merridia. I am in process of finding some merchants to fill orders for spices and herbs. I plan to grow much of my own...as much as the climate of Merridia will allow. I havent found a building with attached land yet. I have found a broker who is looking into propertys that could support my interests however."

She tilted her head as she observed Meghan with frank appraisal. " What is the manner of your employment? You seem to know the merchants around here..." she left the sentance hanging so that Meghan could share as much or as little as she might be inclined.
Back to top Go down
Meghan

Meghan

PostSubject: Re: A perfect business venture   A perfect business venture Icon_minitime2010-04-14, 10:16

::She orders herself a cup of mint tea as she sits across from Maire, studying her in turn. As she listens, she sets her bag on the floor between her ankles and tucks a few stray curls away from her face::

I know there's a small shop that sells herbs for cooking, though the owners claims some can heal, as well. If that's what you do for a living, you'd know far better than I do what might do what. If they can't find you what you need, I'd be willing to bed they could tell you who can. Some of the merchants around here take care of their own. Oh, not all, but I avoid the other kind. I visit the markets almost every day, so I know most of the regular merchants well enough.

I'm a crafter, myself. Folk art is popular, and charms, some of that based on legends or superstitions. I'm happy to make whatever people ask for, though I never claim my art does anything more than look nice. Mostly just decorations for people's homes or special events. My current project is a house on the other side of the city. The owner just had new furniture made and wants the rest of the house to match. It's my biggest project yet, but I'm not complaining, that's sure.
Back to top Go down
Maire Caladore

Maire Caladore

PostSubject: Re: A perfect business venture   A perfect business venture Icon_minitime2010-04-15, 10:34

Maire listened to Meghan intrestedly as the tea came. The wooden platter holding the fresh crusty loaf of bread and the round ripe wheel of cheese was placed in the middle of the two . Maire took the knife and cut a slice of the cheese, tearing off a piece of the bread she ate small bites alternatly while listening.

"A apothocary does use herbs and plants to help heal ailments. Some more superstious people will claim to make love potions but the best I could do would be to help a man keep his tool erect instead of flagging after a few moments" she gave a humorous smile. Meghan didnt seem the baudy time and Maire wasnt either but she wasnt one to divert around certain plain facts.

She went on " I dont plan to have a shop filled with superstions, people can go to the dark alleys for such. I rely on proven remedys. It will take me a while to get a good supply of my own things. The growing season here can be fickle and I havent even found a piece of land yet" she took a sip of tea after blowing across the surface to cool it.

" I could use someone to help and after you finish your job perhaps you would like to assist me? It could grow into something permanent if you wanted."

Maire decided that she could watch and have Rensains spies check out the validity of the woman but if she turned out to be someone who had dalliances with factions that the Caladores didnt care for ...it was good to keep enemies close. Either way it would be profitable, a potential business partner and maybe even a friend. Maire had few ....
Back to top Go down
Meghan

Meghan

PostSubject: Re: A perfect business venture   A perfect business venture Icon_minitime2010-04-17, 10:52

You want me to work for you?

::Her first thought is to reject the idea out of hand, and she opens her mouth to say so, then closes it again in sudden thoughtful silence. Since leaving home, she'd never made any permanent attachments, not to people or places, and not any commitments that would take her longer than a few weeks. She hadn't dared, in case she needed to leave quickly again. She doesn't really understand why this offer from a stranger would be so appealing to her, but it is, and she wonders if maybe it's time to take a few risks::

We could try it, I think, but I have to be honest. I don't know anything about plants or healing. And I will have to continue my own work as well. I learned my craft from my grandmother, and I won't dishonor her memory by tossing aside everything she taught me. Besides, I enjoy it. Maybe I could help decorate your shop in a way that would attract the kind of customers you're looking for.
Back to top Go down
Maire Caladore

Maire Caladore

PostSubject: Re: A perfect business venture   A perfect business venture Icon_minitime2010-04-17, 12:51

Maire chuckled" I didnt expect you to be a gardner. The help I think you can provide goes beyond mere decorating as well Meghan" she took another swallow of tea and then placed her cup down her hands still encircled around it." Setting up shop and getting a reputation are not easy. Merchants and locals tend to look upon new businesses and people involved in business with suspicion. I am hoping that you could bridge that gap."

She drained the dregs of her cup and then tore off another piece of bread chewing thoughtfully" As far as the gardening and putting together the specific herbs and such, I can do that but there is much more then just that to running a business. There is supplies to be bought in a regular basis, there are books to keep, the shop and various drying rooms and mixing rooms to be kept clean. Cataloging inventory and waiting on customers....there is much to do. I cant pretend that I can do it all myself."

She brushed crumbs off of her skirts and continued" It isnt instant either, I still havent even bought the land and buildings I need." she smiled "Let me know when your available. You can reach me in the Thunderlands, send a message to the Caladore mansion and I will get your corraspondance"

There was much to the business and she knew it was going to keep her busy. For a moment though after speaking to Meghan about all that was needful she was almost worried she had bitten off more then she could chew. She had no hurried pace about it all however. There was still a marriage and to find Marcus....life was never dull in Aegis.
Back to top Go down
Meghan

Meghan

PostSubject: Re: A perfect business venture   A perfect business venture Icon_minitime2010-04-18, 22:59

The Thunderlands? I didn't realize anyone lived there. You are Maire Caladore, then? So I know how to address a letter.

::She takes a sip of tea, as she considers Maire's words. The name Caladore sounds vaguely familiar, but she meets a lot of people, so she doesn't think much of it.::

I'll have to see your work before I can vouch for you to other merchants. You don't seem like the type to be dishonest or to treat your customers poorly, but then, one can never be sure, unfortunately. If I made them assurances without being sure myself, they wouldn't trust me either, even if there's nothing wrong at all.

::She smiles and takes a small piece of bread::

I think I might like learning something new. Art is a wonderful thing, but there are times when people don't want or need it. I would imagine someone would always need what you do. If you don't mind teaching me, I'd be glad to help. My project shouldn't take longer than a week or two.
Back to top Go down
Maire Caladore

Maire Caladore

PostSubject: Re: A perfect business venture   A perfect business venture Icon_minitime2010-04-19, 12:08

Maire shook her head " I may be Maire Caladore in the heart of the Lord Caladore but I am not officially his wife." She didnt wish to give Meghan a lie. There was no need to for it could be found easily for a lie. "If you just put Maire it will suffice." She asked a passing servant for another cup of tea and then spoke " So tell me more about yourself Meghan. Have you a husband? Children?"

Business was one line of getting to know someone but she was interested in Meghans personal details as well. To meet another mother or wife would be very nice. Maire hadnt socialized much when she was in Aegis before. Her life had been wrapped up in her temple work and her family. Her family of course was still her weakness but being released from the temple gave her opportunity to strech her wings slightly.

She offered a bit more of a glimpse into her life for Meghan" I have a son Marcus and one day Rensain and I would like to have more. Perhaps a little girl one day. " she smiled at the thought of a little girl nestling her way into her fathers heart. She though saw Rensain in a complete different way then most people did. No one would see a tender side of Rensain, he showed what he wanted to show .

She went on cautiously for she still hadnt been able to judge Meghans motives or perhaps her loyalties " Rensain and I are also planning a wedding. I suppose a outward sign of what is really in our hearts. We have loved each other a long time..."
Back to top Go down
Meghan

Meghan

PostSubject: Re: A perfect business venture   A perfect business venture Icon_minitime2010-04-22, 09:26

((I had a big long post written out... till my window crashed. >.<))

::Her brows raise momentarily at the mention of a lord, and she supposes that's why the name sounded familiar. Still Maire had introduced herself by her first name alone, so Meghan decides it's probably best not to treat her any differently, at least for the moment::

Congratulations to you and your lord! Weddings are beautiful, and well worth having, if for no other reason than to show the world how much you love each other. Finding the perfect man for you is no small accomplishment, and you deserve to show it off! How old is your son? I don't have a family of my own. Maybe someday.

::She smiles, though for a moment her eyes are far away. Having a family is something she'd considered and rejected. How could she subject people she loves, especially children, to the curse that so often plagues her at night?::
Back to top Go down
Maire Caladore

Maire Caladore

PostSubject: Re: A perfect business venture   A perfect business venture Icon_minitime2010-04-23, 16:32

Maire looked slightly troubled as she spoke of her son. She couldnt forget that he was missing. "Marcus is a young man now , 16. He is already betrothed and I pray that he finds the same happiness and love that his father and I share" she swirled her tea in its cup absently. " As for the love his father and I share...." she looked up and smiled"...I have found what I believe many call my soulmate. I will never deny what strength there is in such a relationship"

She remained silent in her reverie for a moment then briskly changed from personal back to business " So Meghan you know where to find me...where is a place where I could reach you in case I have need?" The afternoon was waning and she wanted to make sure she had done all she could in Merridia before she left back to the Thunderlands. It was true she wouldnt accomplish all she had on her agenda but she wasnt stringent in her timetable. She had also found the value of taking opportunity of moments that life placed before her and meeting Meghan was one of those.
Back to top Go down
Meghan

Meghan

PostSubject: Re: A perfect business venture   A perfect business venture Icon_minitime2010-04-25, 15:33

::She smiles at Maire's talk about a soulmate, not sure if she believes in such things herself, but never one to try and dissuade others from their beliefs either. The question about hot to find her gives her pause, but only for a moment. Until recently, she'd had any needed contact with others here in the city. She'd never had reason for anyone to know where she lived, and since she normally tends to avoid much social interaction, she'd never had any guests before her most recent one. Still, after a brief thought, she realizes it's only natural and understandable that Maire may need to reach her. With a smile that speaks of amusement at her own expense, she supposes she will have to get used to it::

I have a house just outside the city, along the main road, not too far from the city gate. It's set back into the trees, so it's easy to miss unless you're looking for it. If you know it's there, it shouldn't be hard to find. I have some flowers planted along the front that you should be able to see from the road. If I'm not there, I'll be here at the markets somewhere, most likely.
Back to top Go down
Maire Caladore

Maire Caladore

PostSubject: Re: A perfect business venture   A perfect business venture Icon_minitime2010-04-25, 22:32

Maire made note of what Meghan said about her abode. She then pulled out the coins from a tiny pouch to pay for the meal."If you wish feel free to wrap up the bread and cheese. It makes a nice lunch and we barely put a dent in it" it wasnt ment to suggest that Meghan needed leftovers but Maire understood that living on your own as a woman was never too easy.

" I think I better get back home. I have to wait for the broker to get ahold of me to see if he found any appropriate properties. If you hear of anything for sale that has room for a large garden and several rooms let me know. I need room for storage, drying and mixing and some quarters for resting or entertaining merchants if need be. I think many people are leary of the name Caladore so inviting merchants out to the mansion might be .....well just better to meet in the city anyway."

It actually amused her that many were uneasy around Rensain. There were far too many rumors about him which helped him quite a bit in Aegis. Let people think that he subscribed to the darkest of magics in which they could be turned to beetles or toads if they displeased him. She stood and brushed crumbs of bread from her skirts.

Her dark eyes met Meghans, "thank you for this afternoon...I dont often get out and to have a compainon at lunch was very nice. We shall meet again very soon I hope" She gave a inclination of her head as she moved out of the Inn to find the coachman ready for her.

He helped her inside and she leaned back as he took his place and the carriage started its trek back to the Thunderlands.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A perfect business venture   A perfect business venture Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A perfect business venture
Page 1 of 1